Lite Blueberry French Toast

I've come to learn that some of the things I like to eat can be made "lite". Now, If you would have told me that seven months ago I'd roll my eyes and seriously, probably would not like the taste of low fat, low carb, or sugar free anything.  I still am not a believer that fat free foods are good for you. I think anything can be good for you if you eat it in moderation which I have also learned to do. Small portions every couple hours is the key. But for breakfast hour, I like to fill up on protein and Carbs. But again, keeping them low and moderate.

One of my favorite breakfast items next to waffles and pancakes is French toast. You see where Im at with this, now don't you? Sweet Sweet Sweet. That's fine because I use "sugar free" syrup. How syrup can be sugar free? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Speaking of french toast and sweetness, I was trying to figure out a way to incorporate french toast in my daily diet. Figuration complete.


Now I would like to share how you can also make this delicious breakfast that is light and somewhat healthy. I mean, "wheat" bread is healthy right?

Blueberry French Toast:

You will need:
2 slices of 40 calorie wheat bread
1/4 cup of blueberries
2 egg whites (1/3 cup)
2 tablespoons of 1% milk.
Spray butter (its free of everything) for cooking.
Sugar free syrup.

How to do it:
In a shallow bowl, whip egg whites and milk.
Microwave blueberries for aprox 30 seconds. (makes them soft and juicy).
Mix the warm blueberries into the egg and milk mixture. (It will be a pretty purple).
Spray frying pan with butter.
Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture coating both sides.
Fry both sides until lightly brown. 

Serve with sugar free syrup.

You can also top with fruit, jelly, or honey. Syrup is my favorite.
Don't have blueberries? I'm sure this would work just as well with other types of fruit.

Experiment and enjoy.

Nutrition Info:
Calories- 146
Carbs- 27 g
Fat- 1 g
Sugar- 7 g
Protein- 13 g
Fiber- 7 g
Cholesterol- 1 mg
Sodium- 283 mg
Potassium- 179 mg
Calcium- 12%
Iron- 26%


I've shared this at:
dare-to-share at pamspartyandpracticaltips
cooking-crafting-with-j-j-link-up at julieslifestyle.blogspot

3 comments

  1. I am not a french toast eater, but you sure can make it look GOOD! Love from here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea! Love it!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    This french toast recipe looks so delicious and healthy. Thanks for sharing it at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    Enjoy the week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete